Note: This story appears in the Tuesday, Nov. 28 newspaper on Page A3.
NELSONVILLE — Starting this coming weekend Dec. 1 and 2, the historic heart of Nelsonville will transform into a southeast Ohio version of Christmas Town, USA, which begins with festivities that include the lighting of the Public Square.
There are numerous events, displays and activities planned throughout the entire month of December for North Pole Nelsonville, making the square a truly magical place to be, according to the event’s sponsor, the Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce.
Holiday happenings include:
- Dec. 2 through Dec. 18, on Saturdays and Sundays noon to 5 p.m. — Santa’s Workshop, where kids of all ages can visit with the man himself.
- Friday, Dec. 1, 6 p.m. — Concert, caroling and lighting of the Public Square
- Saturday, Dec. 2, 10 a.m. — Christmas parade, featuring Santa
- Saturday, Dec. 2, 7-11 a.m. — Fireman’s Breakfast; this annual fundraiser is held at the Nelsonville Elk’s Lodge with all proceeds helping the Fire Department purchase food for their Holiday Gift Basket drive
- Saturday, Dec. 2, noon to 2 p.m. — Holidays at Hocking Student Center; Games, prizes, inflatables and more; the event is free and open to the public
- Sunday, Dec. 10, noon to 3 p.m. — Cocoa and Canvas; children are invited to participate in a pint-sized version of a canvas painting party featuring hot cocoa, cookies and the creation of a custom work of art perfect for a Christmas gift.
- Friday/Saturday Dec. 1-2, 7:30 p.m.; Saturday/Sunday Dec. 2-3, 2 p.m. — Elf Jr., hosted by the ABC Players at Stuart’s Opera House on the square.
- Friday, Dec. 15 entry deadline: North Pole Neighborhoods – This event provides an opportunity to show off your holiday decorating skills during the annual lighting contest. Cash prizes will be awarded to top entries in three different categories. Judging will take place Friday, Dec. 17 at 6 p.m. To enter, visit http://nelsonvillechamber.com/index.php/npn-lighting
- Saturdays/Sundays 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. through Dec. 17, 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. — Santa Trains offered by the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway with night trains on Dec. 2 and Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. For information visit: http://www.hvsry.org/trains/santa/
Additional information about North Pole Nelsonville is available by contacting Chamber of Commerce spokesperson Sarah Milligan, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 740-591-7229.