The Peanut Butter & Jelly Project is back again in Athens County. Here are details about the 2019 program and how to get involved, both as a participant and as a donor.
What is the program?
The project offers free peanut butter, jelly, bread and fresh produce to local families in need. These supplies are donated by community members and businesses, and are then distributed to families throughout the county.
For more details about the program, contact children services at 740-592-3061 or visit www.athenschildrenservices.com.
How to participate
Supplies are provided to those in need each Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The program runs from June 6 through July 25. Pick-up locations are as follows:
- Alexander Elementary
- The Plains Elementary
- Amesville Elementary
- Coolville Public Library
- Nelsonville Park (near city pool)
- Trimble Elementary
Note: The week of the Fourth of July holiday, distribution will take place Wednesday, July 3.
How to donate
The project is organized by Athens County Childrens Services, which accepts monetary donations for supplies by mail to: “The PB&J Project, Athens County Children Services, 10 Stonybrook Drive, Athens, OH 45701.”
There are also numerous businesses in the county which serve as “drop-off sites” for donated peanut butter and jelly supplies. Site locations and available drop-off dates are courtesy children’s services:
- OU Credit Union’s three Athens locations — 90 S. Shafer St.; 944 E State St.; or 12 W. Union St. (through June 30)
- Maurices — 1002 E. State St., Athens (through June 30)
- Kimes Nursing and Rehabilitation Center & Blue Sky Therapy — 75 Kimes Lane, Athens (through June 15)
- Chase Bank’s two Athens locations — 420 Richland Ave. and 2 S. Court St. (through June 15)
- Rocky Boot Outlet Store — 45 E. Canal St., Nelsonville (through end of July)
- Peoples Bank’s two Athens locations — 801 E. State St. and 1 N. Court St. (no dates listed)
The annual Peanut Butter & Jelly 5K/10K race is slated for Sunday, June 16 at Eclipse Company Town (near The Plains). Proceeds benefit the project. Registration for all events is available through June 15 at 8:30 a.m.
The event is hosted by the Athens Professionals for Philanthrophy, and features at 10K starting at 8:30 a.m.; a 100-yard Kids Dash at 8:45 a.m.; and a Kids Mile and 5K both starting at 9 a.m.
Packet pick-up is available on race morning from 7:15-8:15 a.m. Online registration is available at athensprofessionals.com/pbj-race.